Even though this has been an unusually mild winter in Colorado, this past week held a three-day hut trip with 8 amazing women to the McNamara hut above Aspen, CO as well as three hours of serving hot chili on a cold winter day at the Sunlight Mountain 3rd Annual Chili Cook Off. In other words – yours truly is still a little cold! What better way to warm up than a hearty winter soup? This brings me to the topic of today’s post – the monthly Burwell General Store Recipe Swap. Today we are all revamping an old recipe for Rice Dressing, which for me turned into a Wild Rice and Rainbow Chard Soup with Shredded Chicken. This soup is quick, easy and truly heart warming. It’s also what is for lunch this week 🙂 Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- onion powder
- olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 package Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild rice, fast cook recipe
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 leek, white parts only thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 6 cups beef, chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Sprinkle chicken breast on both sides with salt and onion powder, and press one garlic clove on each breast.
- Bake in oven until cooked thru, roughly 25 minutes.Internal temperature should reach 165 Fahrenheit.
- Boil wild rice according to instructions on package.
- Saute bacon slices in dutch oven until crispy, remove from pan.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to pan and saute leek, mushrooms and carrots until browned, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a few pinches of kosher salt.
- Press remaining four cloves of garlic to mixture and saute for one more minute.
- Add chopped chard, give a good stir, then de glaze pan by adding beef broth.
- Add kidney beans and bring soup to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
Be sure to visit the sites of all of my fellow recipe swappers below, and see how differently we have all interpreted this original recipe for Rice Dressing.